FAMILY AND CHILDREN FUN IN NORTHERN COLORADOCherilyn Ashley
We live in a wonderful state with stunning natural attractions, plenty of sporting activities, and tons of mountains to explore. For children, mountains, valleys, and scenic drives can become boring. As natives of Colorado, we are constantly getting asked, “What is there to do around here?” We love answering those questions because Northern Colorado is full of fun things for children and families to do. Here are some activities in our state to explore. Be sure to check this often, as we are constantly updating this list.
Colorado School-Age Staples:
- Denver Zoo – See more than 3,500 animals that call the 80-acre zoo home.
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science – Tour exhibits showcasing topics in space, gems, minerals, dinosaurs, the human body, and more.
- Denver Art Museum – Get creative with hands-on activities for all ages and discover world-class art.
- Children’s Museum of Denver – Children can learn about the world from child-sized grocery market, fire station, and construction workshop.
- Downtown Aquarium – Explore the watery depths with jellyfish, stealthy sharks, and tons of fish of every color.
- Butterfly Pavilion and Insect Center – Located in Broomfield, this place allows guests to walk through a tropical rainforest habitat filled with free-flying butterflies.
- Colorado Railroad Museum – Located in Golden, this 15-acre railyard features more than 100 railcars.
- Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum – Located in Denver, come see dozens of historic airplanes!
- Denver Botanic Gardens – Located in Denver, come see dozens of flowers and plants.
Northern Colorado Region
Other Museums and Tours
- Dougherty Museum – Boulder County – Contains a collection of restored automobiles.
- City of Longmont Callahan House
- Poudre Landmark Foundation – Tours of historic houses in Fort Collins.
- Colorado Model Railroad Museum – Located in Greely with over 1,000 railroad artifacts.
- Totally 80’s Pizza & Museum – Located in Fort Collins, they serve pizza and while you wait, you get to step back to the 80’s.
- Ride Birney Car 21 – Fort Collins: on summer weekend afternoons and holidays, the famous and historic trolley runs.
- Wild Animal Sanctuary – Located in Keenesburg, this houses over 500 rescued animals on its 10,473 acres of sanctuary.
- Greenwood Wildlife Rehabilitation Center – Located in Longmont.
- Colorado Horse Rescue – Longmont
- Rocky Mountain Raptor Program – Located in Fort Collins, the Raptor Program rescues, rehabilitates, and releases injured birds of prey, including eagles, owls, hawks, and falcons.
- CSU Environmental Learning Center – With 200 acres, the Environmental Learning Center connects both children and adults with nature.
- Bee Family Centennial Farm Museum – Experience farm life with washboards, milking cows, pulling a horse-drawn plow, and grinding corn. (May to October).
- Zippity Zoo Baryard – Located in Loveland, the Bradbury family invites kids and their family to get hands-on experience.
- The Farm at Lee Martinez Park – Located in Fort Collins, this Farm Serves as an educational and interactive experience for visitors.
- Anderson Farms – Located in Erie this family farms is open for an annual fall festival from mid- September to Halloween.
- Agricultural Heritage Center -Boulder County – Get a glimpse into the farming past and the history of agriculture in Boulder County.
- Sunflower Farm – Boulder County – Educational demonstration farm
Parks – Everyone has their favorites! Here are just a few:
- St. Vrain State Park – Longmont
- Calkins Lake also called Union Reservoir – Longmont
- Rabbit Mountain Open Space– Longmont
- Golden Ponds Park– Longmont
- Pawnee National Grasslands – Located 25 miles northeast of Greeley, this grassland is 193,060 acres and is ideal for all outdoor recreation activities.
- Hike Lory State Park – Fort Collins – consists of 26 miles of trails along the western banks of Horsetooth Reservoir.
- Cache La Poudre River
- Fossil Creek Park
Roller and Ice Skating
- Rollerland Skate Center located in Fort Collins, this 12,000 square-foot rink makes skating fun.
- City of Longmont Ice Pavilion
- Edora Pool and Ice Center (EPIC) – Fort Collins
- The Ice Rink – Loveland
Fun Places to Take Children that are Different
- Crackpots (in Longmont) – Take a piece of pottery and decorate it with paints and stencils to create your own masterpiece.
- Mary’s Mountain Cookies – Located in Fort Collins, Loveland and Broomfield- Stop buy and enjoy a nice warm cookie.
- Nuance Chocolate – Located in Fort Collins, this chocolate company makes handmade, bean-to-bar chocolate.
- FoCo DoCo -Located in Fort Collins, this donut shop makes everything to order with fresh good